The Connop family began ranching in Alberta in 1919, with an initial purchase of 3/4 section. George Connop slowly grew the ranch over the years, acquiring land near Okotoks, Turner Valley, Millarville and Bragg Creek from 1948-1964. Now, the ranch covers a total of 841 hectares (2,080 ac.) south of Calgary. In 2004, Mr. Connop generously donated his lands to the Nature Conservancy of Canada as a legacy gift in his will.
The 322 hectare (798 ac.) Connop Bragg Creek property, which borders Kananaskis Country, provides habitat for species like elk, barn swallow and grizzly bear. This working landscape also balances active cattle ranching with long term conservation.